Essay: The Chinese Exclusion Act and Angel Island: A Brief History with Documents
Due Date: June 17th
Using The Chinese Exclusion Act and Angel Island: A Brief History with Documents, you will need to write an essay of at least 750 words answering ALL of the following questions using specific evidence from the second half of the book to support your answers fully.
1) What were some of reasons that the Chinese to come to America? What made them so susceptible to public criticism? What were some of the earliest attempts made by the state of California to discourage Chinese immigration?
2) How did the Chinese Exclusion Law come to pass? What were some of the main provisions of this law? How did people react to its introduction and passage? How was this law different than other immigration laws the United States had previously passed?
3) How did the role of the media (newspapers and magazines) lead to public support for the Exclusion Act? What sorts of ways were the Chinese depicted in the press?
4) How were these Exclusion Acts enforced? In what ways did the Chinese attempt to circumvent these laws? Were they ever successful?
5) Discuss the experiences that the Chinese faced on Angel Island. What sorts of tests were the Chinese put through before the decision was made whether or not to allow them to come into the United States? How did the Chinese describe these practices?
6) In 1943, President Franklin Roosevelt (somewhat) repealed the Chinese Exclusion Act. Why did he decide to do it during this period? Looking at the way that the United States has acted in the aftermath of the end of Exclusion, do you think that the country did enough to address these practices? Why or why not?
In order to receive full credit, you must fulfill the following criteria.
· This essay must be at least 750 words (or very close to.) For every 50 words that you are missing, there will be a penalty of 10-points taken off of your grade
· It is YOUR responsibility to give me a signed word count. Failure to give a word count is a 10-point penalty off of your final essay grade.
· Falsifying your word count will earn the paper an automatic grade of a 0
· Essays need to be typed in 12-point font and double-spaced. I will not accept handwritten papers. Failure to double-space the paper will result in a 10-point deduction
· Papers must be turned into me during class. If you know you will be unable to attend class on a day your essay is due, it is your responsibility to turn the assignment in early or incur a 10-point penalty for each class period the essay is late.
· Late Work Policy: I will only accept papers that are turned in a maximum of 3 days after the due date. After that, I will not accept your work and you will receive a 0 on the assignment.
· All of the information for the essays can be found in The Chinese Exclusion Act and Angel Island: A Brief History with Documents so the use of outside sources is not necessary. If you want to use outside sources, you must tell me which sources you are getting your information from and provide citations and a bibliography. Failure to do so will be considered cheating and dealt with under HCC’s Academic Dishonesty Policy. Your footnotes and bibliography will not count towards your word count for the assignment.
· Each essay will be given a letter grade. This letter grade is represented by the following: A= 95, A-= 92, B+= 88, B= 85, B-= 82, C+= 78, C= 75, C-= 72, D= 60 and F= 50 or below
· Bonus: If you use Upswing or go to the Writing Center, I will give you 15 bonus points on your essay as long as you:
· Submit a copy of your draft with their feedback with your corrected paper
· Submit your assignment on time. Bonus points will not be awarded to people who submit this paper after the due date
The post Using The Chinese Exclusion Act and Angel Island: A Brief History with Documents, you will need to write an essay of at least 750 word appeared first on homeworkhandlers.com.